This week our CEO, Wendy McGuinness and our Head of Research, Rory Sarten are in Gisborne for the Transit of Venus Forum. The forum, organised by the MacDiarmid Institute, Victoria University, and the Royal Society of New Zealand, brings together New Zealand’s leading thinkers to discuss the late Sir Paul Callaghan’s vision – making New Zealand a country where talent wants to live. ‘It’s a privilege to be here,’ said Wendy, ‘Sir Paul Callaghan would be proud.’
Today Wendy and Rory, along with the other delegates, joined the people of Te Aitanga a Hauiti and Tolaga Bay to celebrate the Transit of Venus.
- Steven Joyce addresses the crowd
- The sun is out!
- Wendy looking at the sun
- Beautiful shot of the bay, the frigate and the transit of Venus
- Child from Tolaga Bay has a look through the telescope
- School at midday
- Hekia Parata unveiling a mural
- Children from Tolaga Bay Area School in full swing
- Poster in the window of the school
- Carved by Jack Brooking of Ngati Porou
- Wendy and Rory at the hangi